Cheese Makers Forum FAQ Equipment part 1 Equipment part 2 History

Thursday, March 12, 2009

A little out of order...

This is a bit out of order, but I thought I would post some pics of #14 and #15. #14 is a two gallon raw milk loaf that was kind of an accident. See, a number of months ago I got the idea to make a Reuben sandwich from scratch. Seriously from scratch--bake the rye bread, make the pastrami, make the swiss, make the dressing, etc. Well, I never did get around to finishing it, but I did order two cultures used to make swiss type cheeses with 'eyes' (holes). So I thought to myself, why not give it a try.

Unfortunately, I forgot to add salt. I remembered the next morning after it was pressed and felt, well, depressed. I didn't want this one to fail, and if it doesn't have salt it will definitely rot. So, it got brined for 12 hours. The good news is that I'm pretty sure that the lack of salt will give the cultures a heads up on propagating, I'm just concerned about getting the salt all the way through the loaf. I guess I could cut it in half and test the center, but for some reason that just feels so wrong.

The loaf on the right is the goats milk loaf I started yesterday. It turned out pretty attractive, and you can see how much smaller in height it is than the cows milk loaf. They are now both happily fermenting, and will go in the 'cave' in a few days.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Cheese A Day by Jeremy Pickett is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at cheeseaday.blogspot.com.