The basics behind this recipe are identical to making mayonnaise to start out. In fact, many people just use canned mayo as the base, but most mayo is either really sweet or kinda bland. I love the strong and subtle flavors that can be pulled out of home made mayo by using different oils or blends of oils. If you love the pungency of olive oil, you can start out with something resembling an aioli. If you want to add a roasted nutty flavor you can use half and half grapeseed and hazelnut oil. If you want a clean neutral flavor, use grapeseed oil completely.
Basic Mayo Recipe
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
Once you have your basic mayo set, then we add the ingredients to transform this into Russian dressing.
- Basic mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup of chile sauce, such as Franks Hot Sauce
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced cornichons or dill pickle
- 1 teaspoon grated horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce