Cheese Makers Forum FAQ Equipment part 1 Equipment part 2 History

Friday, April 10, 2009

Fried Cheese Curd

Last nights batch of cheese left me with more curd than I could every fit in my press, so I guess I did something right for once :D . Today, because I saved the curds in the fridge, I was wondering what to do with them. Then an idea popped into my head--why not deep fry them! I am not one of those people that wants everything fried, quite the opposite really. However I have been reading about people on the Cheese Forum who love deep fried cheese curd.

I have never had deep fried curd, but I have had just regular ol' deep fried cheese at restaurants. Keep this in mind when you look at the recipe and pics, since I don't really have a frame of reference. Several quick experiments were tried--deep fried without any coating, fried with corn meal, fried with flour, and fried with a mixture of corn meal, flour, and spices. The last one was the best.

Recipe
The coating was 2/3's corn meal, 1/3 flour, cracked black pepper to taste, salt, and paprika. I rolled the curds in this mixture, then deep fried them one at a time and let them drain. They weren't as stretchy as deep fried mozzarella, but a lot stretchier than cheddar which surprised me.



3 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I'm still pregnant and torturing myself by looking at your blog and craving all that cheese. Care to drive up to Canada? lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sweet chili sauce made them even better :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best fried cheese curds I ever had were made were with buffalo wing flavor cheese curds. Great cheese curd resource at www.friedcheesecurds.com.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Cheese A Day by Jeremy Pickett is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at cheeseaday.blogspot.com.