#4 may not get posted at all, but if any come out well I'll post pics later--but I'm pretty sure this is going to be a failure. I did a couple things wrong:
- I forgot to add CaCl. Considering this was the same recipe as #1 except the CaCl, and the curd was immensely more difficult to work with (even cooked ten degrees higher), I think omitting the CaCl was a bad mistake.
- The loaf was not completely wrapped in cheese cloth during pressing. While this doesn't seem to be a big deal with harder cheeses, I lost at least 10% of the curd during the pressing.
- Without a fresh cheese mold the loaf split down the center like #1, but worse. Jebus soft cheese is a pain to work with.
Start date: 2/28/2009
Wax date: 3/3/2009
Taste date: TBD
- 1 gallon whole milk, pasteurized and homogenized
- 2 cups 1% cultured buttermilk
- 1 tab rennet
- Mortons kosher salt
- Forgot to add CaCl
Brined the loaf for 15 minutes, however the brine almost caused the entire loaf to disintegrate.