Cheese Makers Forum FAQ Equipment part 1 Equipment part 2 History

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Who would like to beta test a new gardening website?

The past month and a half I've been spending my time not making cheese (I know, boo!), but developing a website to help gardeners and plant growers (yay!).

The basic premise is this: I usually don't know when I should do something, like fertilize, transplant, etc. So this website pulls environmental data, weather data, average temperature, and compares it to what plants you have, and creates a custom 'care schedule'. It will then email you the day before you need to do something as a reminder.

I only have ~200 plants in the database right now, but more are being added. And it only really works in the US so far, as I haven't been able to find repositories of international weather data. But I've been using it for a week or so now and I'm pretty amazed at how well it can predict what I should do (at least for this part of the country).

So if you are interested in trying it out, and hopefully giving me an earful of feedback, check out Plantacious.

4 comments:

  1. Hi I had a look at your website and firstly the copyright code at the bottom isn't working and you need to use your keywords better, you could have a read of my article on keywords at http://www.seo4all.co.uk/keywords-keyphrases.php. Hope this helps. Love the way it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the coolest thing I've seen all week. I'm rotten at remembering to get things in the ground!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is *precisely* why i'm putting this together. I've killed two houseplants recently cause I thought to myself, "I haven't fertilized these recently...." when I actually have. I just hope it's accurate :)

    It takes the (averageHigh+averageLow)/2, then compares that against actual forecasted weather and a plants environmental needs to figure out when to plant. Lots of bugs still to work out though, but I am using it personally with this years garden, so I really am 'eating my own dogfood'.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Cheese A Day by Jeremy Pickett is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at cheeseaday.blogspot.com.