Cheese Makers Forum FAQ Equipment part 1 Equipment part 2 History

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Gardening Season!

Cheese making really isn't a seasonal activity, but unfortunately it is getting pushed to the side a bit due to a honest-to-god seasonal project--gardening. I am quite an amateur when it comes to growing vegetables, but it is still very rewarding. Last year was the first time I had managed to grow anything that even resembled good produce, and this year should be a bit better than that.

We live in the country on 2/3 acre, but due to circumstances I garden in containers (the circumstance is named Brunie, she is a wonderful and wonderfully-clumsy dog). Right now I have three half wine barrels and three cedar planters in the front yard, south facing, with tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, basil, and cucumbers. In front of the produce are two pumpkin plants which I'm hoping will take over the yard in the coming months :)

I have considered making cornichons this year, but I just don't think I'm going to have enough baby cukes to make that happen. Regardless, there will be pickles for the next wave of home made cheese sandwiches, and that thought has me quite excited.

In addition to gardening there are also some natural vegetable pickles on the way, from store bought produce. They include kimchi with carrots, dill sauerkraut, and cauliflower with fresh oregano. They have been fermenting for about three days now, and the cauliflower is very, uh, what's the word.... fragrant? Smelly? Get these out of the house we have guests coming over? Regardless, I'm sure they will taste good when they are done and sealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Cheese A Day by Jeremy Pickett is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at cheeseaday.blogspot.com.