Cheese Makers Forum FAQ Equipment part 1 Equipment part 2 History

Monday, April 20, 2009

Goat Cheese

I made several loaves of hard pressed raw goat cheese about a month and a half ago, and I finally decided to taste one of the oldest loaves. Much to my surprise it had been completely transformed from what I had tried about a month ago, and is quite remarkable. I don't think I have ever had a goat cheese quite as interesting as this one (I'm not saying better, as Drunken Goat is probably the best goat cheese I have ever tasted).

The texture is creamy and mostly smooth, with just a hint of the grittiness than many goat cheeses have. There is some goatiness and bitterness, but the combined effect is quite startling--it tastes just like slightly unripe walnuts. The gaminess of the goaty flavor is very similar to that of freshly roasted walnuts, but the bitterness adds an unusual complexity that is quite interesting. There is a small amount of sharpness, but it isn't dominant. This cheese is very striking, and I think with additional aging will be spectacular.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Cheese A Day by Jeremy Pickett is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at cheeseaday.blogspot.com.