This is another example of a recipe that just didn't work. It had one gallon whole milk and one gallon 2%, and I just couldn't get the curd tough enough to hold itself together. You can see the interior looks like garbage, and the flavor leaves a lot to be desired as well. It is waaay to sour (which I now know how to correct) and kind of gritty.
I also tried taking some of this cheese and combining it with rosemary in one case, which didn't improve it. Second off, I tried a really quick cheesecake approach, and it was just to in your face to blend with any of the ingredients. So, this experiment will probably be relegated to the compost. The texture didn't work for either of them, but it's possible that used as a crumbled cheese sparingly on a salad after it's been aged a few more months might be okay. But I kinda don't want to spend time on a cheese that I don't have much hope for.
I think this one failed for a lot of reasons. First off, if I am to ever use whole homogenized milk successfully, the curd has got to get a lot firmer.
Secondly, whole milk cheeses it seems would benefit from washing the curd. There is just a lot more lactose it seems in whole milk than in other milk, or perhaps the environment that whole milk creates is more conducive to acid production quicker. Either way, not good.
Thirdly, maybe a different pressing regimen would be better. The loaves that had lots of whole milk in them always bowed at the sides. Perhaps they either need to be pressed longer, pressed at higher weight, or just use a form and press lightly. Lots to sort through, but every mistake is a lesson learned.
Cheese A Day by Jeremy Pickett is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at cheeseaday.blogspot.com.