Cheese Makers Forum FAQ Equipment part 1 Equipment part 2 History

Monday, March 9, 2009

And how did the Ricotta I made yesterday turn out?


Two words--total effing disaster. And since effing isn't a real word, it's still true. Three steps forward, two back, rinse and repeat.

On a positive note, i just measure the amount of cream on one of the gallons of raw milk here. Two words--three effing inches of cream on the top. Okay, that wasn't event close to two words, so I'll just stop doing that.

2 comments:

  1. So what went wrong with the ricotta? Why was it a disaster? How did you make it? I'd like to hear more about the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll post a bit more on it later today, but basically the proteins in the whey never coagulated and formed a mat on the top. I attempted to do it without any additional skim milk, which I think was the root of my problem, as I've never even tried to make it before.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Cheese A Day by Jeremy Pickett is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at cheeseaday.blogspot.com.